[:en]Many people feel stuck around money. Perhaps you feel wrong about money. You may feel like you are not energetically able to receive. Or you might put blocks up to prosperity and can’t name why. Sometimes we make it all about the money. What I always tell my clients is, let’s take a more holistic look at your life. Let’s see what might you be projecting onto money that may not be about money at all. It might have roots in your wider life. There may be a lot of unnecessary suffering around money that is really about something else.
“The behaviour wasn’t to do with his relationship with finances”
Let me give some examples that might resonate with you.
Manuel would constantly check his bank balance. He knew exactly how much money he had at any given moment. He had read every money book out there. He was obsessed and compulsive about looking at his numbers. As we explored this, it turned out the behaviour wasn’t to do with his relationship with finances. What was really going on was Manuel was in a job working as an employee but wanted to set up his own business. The apparent obsession with money was an avoidance of stepping into his own power. When we dug deeper, Manuel revealed his father had started many businesses that boomed and then failed. The avoidance of following his entrepreneurial talents was actually a fear of becoming like his own father. It had nothing to do with money.
“The underlying issue turned out to be communication”
Here is another example. Sasha had decided to leave a safe comfortable job to pursue her dream of having her own business. She was successful in getting grants, knew how much money was coming in and out & paid her bills on time. She was on it. However, she kept compulsively checking her bank accounts multiple times a day. She felt compelled to over-strive to show how on top of her finances she was. She was constantly over-anxious about money. She was driving herself to burnout. When we explored more deeply, her father had frequently given her money. He saw her as not capable of succeeding in life and needing his support. Her partner had seen this and took the same view. He didn’t really believe in her and did not see her warrior side. The underlying issue turned out to be communication. Helping Sasha and her partner to truly see each other removed this perception of Sasha being incapable. Sasha’s growth and freedom had more to do with transcending limiting views and creating a strong support system around her. It didn’t have much to do with money.
“Mindfulness, a supportive environment, and money work all dance together.”
How can you start to unpack this? What is a money issue in your life? What is a different underlying struggle getting put onto money?
In this blog, I want to share some ways that mindfulness can support your ability to self-regulate your emotions, states & behaviours around money.
- Mindfulness practice creates resiliency and strength you need to face and understand feeling so wrong about money. It gives you the awareness and clarity to be with the hurts and begin to unpack and heal them.
- In my experience, before you can get to work on your money you may need to to take a bigger view. Which may mean working on the foundational building blocks of your life. Are the foundations such as your space, your structure & routine or your communication in order or not? The process I use for this is the idea of creating a mindful container. This is a supportive environment or womb that supports you to be present, connected and aware. Is your supportive container nurtured enough to deal with your anxiety around money?
- Mindfulness, a supportive environment, and money work all dance together. Bringing these together gives a powerful recipe for transforming your struggles around money. By looking with mindfulness, it becomes clearer what is a money issue, and what is something else. You can put the money part in its rightful place. You can come to understand if it is really about communication, or about aligning with your vision or something else. It helps you be able to navigate the journey with ease and make decisions around money with awareness and clarity. It supports you to be prepared psychologically for the next stage of growth, to energetically receive abundance.
“Weave and integrate awareness into all of your daily activities, conversations, home and work”
Maybe you feel that you need to up your mindfulness – to develop a meditation practice or to start one. Or perhaps you feel you need to find some balance in your life. You might want to create a supportive environment around you so that you can work on the deeper issues. Or you might want to bring more awareness to looking at your life holistically. Maybe you want to unpack what is money and what is something else being projected onto money.
If any of these resonate with you, I invite you to join me for my upcoming Integrating Mindfulness course. This is in partnership with Clear Sky Meditation Center, and partner and co-teacher Duncan Cryle.
This six-week course helps you:
- Strengthen and deepen your meditation and mindfulness practice.
- Create a supportive container – or womb – to support your daily mindfulness practice and your year-round growth.
- Weave and integrate awareness and mindfulness into all of your daily activities, conversations, home and work.
Or relax and enjoy this 2-minute video about the contents of the course below.
Integrating Mindfulness Course Overview
Course start date: March 18th – May 6th (meet 6 times with a 2-week break)
You can join after March 18th, as the first session will be recorded.
Course duration: 2 hours
Day: Saturdays from 9 am PST/10 am MT/Noon EST/1 pm Sao Paulo/4 pm UK time/5 pm CEST
Find out more about the content of the course here: https://www.clearskycenter.org/event/integrating-mindfulness-holisitc-living-2023/
If you’d like to meet with me to discuss if the course is a good fit, feel free to book something in my calendar.
Or email me at [email protected]
In loving kindness,